Eustace Families Association
A Visit To 'Eustace Country'
For those who have the opportunity and interest to
visit the 'Eustace country, the following list may suggest what
Shotover Park, site of the quarry from which the
'Windsor' stone was sold. It can be seen from the London-Oxford
(M40) road by exit from village. It is now grass grown but can be
the cow byre set in the hillside.
19th century gravestones in churchyard. The common on which Thomas Eustace did unlawfully graze his sheep in 1479 and 1487 has now disappeared.
Memorial stone in porch of parish church and old bell inside church.
Memorial brass 1587 in parish church and bell with inscription in belfry.
Couchin Street where family lived in 16th century (actual house not known)
Watcombe Manor at beginning of Henley (B480) road was owned by family commemorated at Pyrton. The house is Victori.an but the south wall to the garden and the thuya tree were there in the Eustace period.
Old Methodist Church in cottage row built by James, c.1870.
Houses, 2,4 & 6 Oakly Road by old schoolhouse owned by James, Richard and William Eustace in 1847.
Wheatsheaf Inn held by James Eustace in 1852. Lower Farm owned by the Heyberd family into which Ann of the twenty-two marrlied.
Methodist Chapel in Station Road with two foundation stones of J. Eustace. Cottage next to the forge ~n Station Road was owned by William Eustace in 1847.
Independent Chapel in High Street, now United Reformed built shortly after death of Harrington Eustace by the community built up by him and in which his son James had considerable part.
Timbered cottage at corner of Keen's Lane with rainwater head recording first owners, Joseph and Ann Eustace 1692, (date is a mistake for 1694). Keen's Farm was owned by father-in-law of Thomas Eustace, schoolmaster and passed by marriage to the Eggletons, one of whom married Amelia, youngest of the twenty-two. Owner, David Eggleton (1976) had a copy of a plan of Keen's Farm in early 19th century (original is in Bndleian Library) which shows owner-
ship of neighbouring land including much held by Eustaces.
Parish Churchyard with gravestone of William and Elizabeth, parents of the twenty-two.
Church with memorial under window in north wall of the chancel and the brickwork tomb by pathway.
Thatched farmhouse held by family in 18th century.
Aldbury by Tring
Parish Church, with Bocland arms on tomb. Manor was held by William fitzEustace of Bocland and his daughter Hawise (1213-1226). Signs of the foundations of early manor house can sometimes be seen in the meadow above the church.
Parish Church gravestone in churchyard.
Methodist Church contains two interior wall plaques of William/Jabez line. The manor was given by Henry II to Faramus of Boulogne c.1153.
Foundations of medieval manor beside church in former
moated site, was held by Geoffrey fitzEustace and lost in
struggle wi.th King John.
Tomb of William de Lanvali in church, stepfather of
Willi-am, Geoffrey and Eustace fitzEustace of Bocland and one of
the barons appointed under Magna Carta.