Eustace Families Association

Our Eustice family comes from Ireland.  We do not know which city they emigrated from or when.  But our guess is around 1840`s and the city of Dublin.

Home Objectives

 

Genealogy Who's Who? Eustace Families Post Eustace Families Association Contacts
Back to Irish Families Back to Kildare Families

THE HOUSE OF EUSTACE
By Reverend John Kingston; Published in Reportorum Novum; Catholic Families of the Pale

With the exception of the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Kildare, no family exercised a greater influence in the county of Kildare than the Eustaces. For more than three hundred years they occupied large estates in Wicklow and Kildare which gave them considerable power and enabled them to play a dominating role in the development of the Pale. To mention that five of the families were chancellors of Ireland, two deputies and one lord high treasurer proves their importance, but some also fought the English power and some gave their lives and fortunes for the Catholic faith. There is no mention of the name among the retinue of Strongbow, yet they were settled in Kildare a century later. Consequently some local historians " Lodge VI, p. 211. like Lord Walter Fitzgerald believe they were a branch of the Poer family who used Eustace as a Christian name, others suggest they were a junior branch of the Fitzgeralds, while De Burgo makes the extraordinary suggestion that they were descended from the Roman martyr, St. Eustacius. In the church of St. Sixtus in Rome is the tomb of a Father Eustace who died in 1712 with the inscription" hic jacet R. D. Eustacii alias FitzEustace, sacerdos ex familia Sancti Eustacii Romani Martyris in Hibernia circiter sexcentis annis stabilita." De Burgo thinks they came to Britain and were befriended by the Saxon kings, but the theory is too fanciful to merit serious consideration. 15

Certainly the Eustaces were settled in Kildare very early in the fourteenth century. Their chief residence was a lovely property on the Liffey near Kilcullen called Castlemartin and they appear here in 1317 and in the neighbouring townlands of Kilcullen, Brannockstown and Nicholastown. There was a Robert FitzEustace Lord Treasurer of Ireland in 1327 while Geoffrey FitzEustace was appointed to oversee the garrisons of Kilteel, Rathmore, Ballymore and Graney in 1355. The little town of Ballymore, then a manor of the Archbishop of Dublin, became specially identified with the family. Important as an outpost of the Pale the Eustaces established castles around the town of which the Archbishop made them constables. We know they were owners of estates in the vicinity at Craddockstown, Gaganstown, Harristown, Barrettstown, Boleybeg, Mullaghcash, Coghlanstown, Punchestown and Blackball in the 15th century, but they were also proprietors of lands in Newland, Carnalway, Kerdiffstown and Confey. Sir Thomas FitzEustace was appointed to collect the " smoke silver" for Kildare in 1386 (this was a tax of a half-penny on every hearth), and later was constituted constable of Ballymore by Thomas Minot.

 The office of constable with its salary of ten pounds a year was important and onerous because of the raids of the O'Byrnes, it remained in the Eustace family until 1524. It involved the holding of markets and fairs, the collection of taxes, the strengthening of castles and the raising of armed levies to resist the clansmen. They were not always faithful to their charge, the parliament of 1468 reproved Sir Richard FitzEustace for lack of diligence in defending the town and allowing the mere Irish to exercise authority there.

 Sir Edward Eustace of Castlemartin was high sheriff of Kildare in 1421, 1423, 1425, 1428 and 1430. He was appointed a privy counselor in 1431 when he paid a visit to Henry VI and later became lord deputy for the Duke of York. The lands of the Eustaces were often raided by the Irish, In 1448 Sir Edward successfully defended Castlemartin from an onslaught of the O'Connors of Offaly.

The most important of the Eustaces in the 15th century was a son of Sir Edward's named Roland who occupied the castle and lands of Harristown. Born about 1430 he played a prominent part in the Wars of the Roses and in the government of the Pale. Trained to the law Roland became chief clerk to the King's Bench and keeper of the rolls. The Duke of York impressed by his father's loyalty and ability appointed him lord treasurer, a post which he held for thirty-eight years. He was knighted in 1459 and in 1462 was created Baron Portlester. The title was taken from lands in County Meath which belonged to the family. The following year he became lord deputy for the absent viceroy, the Duke of Clarence. Closely allied by marriage to the Fitzgeralds the Eustaces were zealous supporters of the Yorkists and flaunted their partisanship even when Henry VII conquered at Bosworth. Roland was captain of the Guild of St. George, a body of knights constituted by the parliament of 1472, for the defense of the Pale. Once he was accused of treason but escaped trial, and at the end of his life he was deprived of the chancellorship but refused to give up the seal. Obviously he was typical of the turbulent barons of the age, yet he was a generous benefactor of the Church. Beside Kilcullen in a beautiful setting on the river Liffey he founded and endowed a friary for Franciscans of Strict Observance called New Abbey. Little remains to-day of this convent as the stones were used by the poor Catholics of Kilcullen to build their first church after the Penal Laws. His effigy with that of his third wife, Margaret, can be seen on his tomb. He is in armour and Margaret in a long pleated costume with a " horned " head-dress, with the arms of Eustace and D'Artois on a panel.
16 A monument very similar exists in the old parish church of St. Audoen's in High Street where Portlester erected a chantry in honour of Our Lady. Sadly scarred by age and neglect it reads "orate pro anima Rolandi Fitz-Eustace de Portlester qui hunc locum sive capellam dedit in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis, etiam pro anima Margaretae uxoris suae et pro animis omnium fidelium defunctorum. Anno dom. 1455." He also founded chantries at Piercetown, Laundey and Greenogue and re-erected the Guild of English Merchants trading with Ireland. For forty years he was a dominant figure in the Pale and the marriage of his daughter to the powerful Earl of Kildare gave him unlimited influence. Yet his last days were dogged by misfortune. Although an old man he espoused the cause of Lambert Simnel and followed him to England.

Forgiven by the king he was later accused of peculation and dismissed from the office of treasurer. For a while he was imprisoned in Dublin Castle before his death in 1496. Portlester had no legitimate heir so the title died; it is believed he had two natural sons who predeceased him. His four daughters married well but the Countess of Kildare died in 1495 and was buried in New Abbey beside her father. Portlester's estate may have included Coghlanstown as there is still extant there the pedestal of a small memorial cross with the inscription " Portlester 1462."" Whether he or his brother built the little chapel behind Castlemartin is uncertain, but it was erected about this time.

The Eustaces were now spread all over Kildare and had properties in Dublin and the present County Wicklow. Alen refers to a number of them in his Register including Richard who was a canon of St. Patrick's and  prebendary of Swords in 1497. Their loyalty to the Geraldines cost them dearly when Silken Thomas made his rash revolt. James of Tipperkevin, Thomas of Cardiston and Christopher of Coghlanstown joined the rebellion and forfeited their lands, Christopher was executed. However the family not for the first time were divided, Sir Thomas Eustace the nephew and heir of Portlester remained loyal and even raised troops to oppose the rebels. He was rewarded by a peerage, being created Baron Kilcullen in 1535 and Viscount Baltinglass in 1541. Yet his mother was a sister of Christopher who had been executed for treason a few years before. The Reformation further enriched the first Viscount Baltinglass with the loot of the great Cistercian abbey of Baltinglass and a lease of New Abbey. He was one of the lords of parliament who proclaimed Henry VIII king of Ireland in 1541 and he was granted the demesne of Kilberry (near Athy) on the suppression of St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is impossible to know how far he was prepared to go with the new religion although Maurice of Castlemartin seems to have accepted the Protestant faith.18 As a reward he was given the forfeited estates of his kinsman, Christopher of Coghlanstown.

The first viscount died in 1549 leaving a large family and was succeeded by his eldest son, Roland. This man was a fervent Catholic who took every opportunity of professing his faith. How he must have grieved when he saw New Abbey left desolate and the lovely church a ruin. He attended the parliament of 1558 and vigorously challenged the Act of Uniformity. Roland married Joan, the daughter of James Butler, eighth Lord of Dunboyne, and had six sons and two daughters. The queen was annoyed with his constant opposition to heresy and ordered his imprisonment in 1567 but the Irish government did not deem it politic to interfere with him. It was no surprise to find the eldest son of such a man even more valiant in defense of his religion.

Perhaps the most distinguished of the Eustaces, James, third Viscount Baltinglass was born in 1530 and received his education from a kinsman, Sir Norman Eustace who was a priest and a fearless champion of orthodoxy. Even before his accession to the estates James boldly protested to the deputy, Sir Henry Sydney, about the persecution of the Catholics and the illegal taxation enforced without any parliamentary sanction. Convinced that Elizabeth was an usurper because of the papal decree of 1570 he looked to Mary, Queen of Scots, for a true sovereign who would restore the old religion. There is no doubt that James was a Catholic of heroic mould who was prepared to sacrifice everything for the faith. He was imprisoned in 1577 but was released the following year to assume his title on the death of his father. His possessions were vast and were increased by an advantageous marriage to Mary Travers of Monkstown Castle,19 unfortunately from this union there was no issue. Prior to his father's death he lived for many years in Monkstown but immediately on coming to Harristown commenced dangerous intrigues with Desmond and the O'Byrnes and O'Tooles of Wicklow. James Eustace was shocked by the treatment of the Earl of Desmond as a letter, still extant, to Black Tom, the formidable Butler testifies. He implored the Protestant Ormonde to return to the faith of his ancestors and to refrain from harrying the Geraldine. Obviously the third viscount was an idealist, his preparations for war to aid Fitzmaurice and Desmond were too hesitant and far too slow. The rebellion in Munster had been crushed before he was ready to move, yet he and his allies liad one glorious success at Glenmalure before the inevitable defeat. A party of Spaniards who escaped the Smerwick massacre marched across Ireland to assist him but were slaughtered outside Naas.20

Baltinglass escaped to Munster and eventually to Spain where Philip II received him kindly and many Spaniards revered him as a true confessor of the faith. He died in exile 1586. Forty-five of his adherents were hanged in Dublin, including two of his brothers, Thomas and Walter. Another brother, William, was killed in the fighting according to an official report to Walsingham " head of William Eustace another of the Baltinglass brethren, taken this morning " but Edmund escaped to Scotland and thence to Spain where he assumed the title of fourth viscount while Richard, the remaining brother, became a priest and died in Rome. Among the other Eustaces who took part in the rising were Maurice of Castlemartin and Thomas of Kerdiffstown who were both executed, and John of Newland and Oliver of Blackball who were pardoned.

In 1585 the Statute of Baltinglass was passed by the Irish parliament with considerable opposition. The title and arms of Baltinglass were attainted and all the great possessions of the family were forfeited. New Abbey was granted to the poet, Edmund Spenser, but the major parts of the estates were given to Sir Henry Harrington. Harristown was restored to John Eustace of Castlemartin in 1590 and William, his brother, was restored to Castlemartin two years later. The queen was hopeful that by this clemency the family might resume their former loyalty; it was believed they were both Protestants as William had actually fought with the English army against his own brethren. There is no question that Baltinglass believed he was fighting a holy war. The English too knew it was a vital religious struggle, which perhaps explains the despicable efforts to pervert the condemned gentry on their way to the scaffold.21 One victim of the rising deserves special mention. Maurice Eustace, son and heir of John Eustace of Castlemartin, refused to follow his father and accept the new religion. Instead he went abroad with the intention of becoming a priest and entered the Jesuit novitiate at Bruges. His father disinherited him but died shortly afterwards and Maurice was hurriedly summoned home by his relatives. His brother, William, who was anxious to placate the government at all costs in the hope of succeeding to Castlemartin promptly, handed over Maurice to their custody.22 Only twenty-four years old, the young levite was accused of treason and of correspondence with Baltinglass. At his trial all that could be proved against him was membership of the Society of Jesus, which the judge said was quite sufficient to prove his treason, and the young man was sentenced to the usual cruel death by hanging and quartering.23

William profited by his treachery. He himself was confirmed in Castlemartin and his son John was granted Harristown and some of the old Baltinglass lands in Rochestown and Calverstown. In 1606 he was given the tolls of the annual fair at Kilcullen Bridge and a year later was High Sheriff of the county. He married four times and died at a great age in 1635. He was buried at Castlemartin. Strangely enough, one of his cousins married Elizabeth Bigland of Yorkshire, a daughter of Mary Strickland, the loyal friend and companion of Mary, Queen of Scots, who brought a drinking cup into the family with the inscription, " this was Mary, Queen of Scots, drinking cup ye day she was beheaded. She gave it to her goddaughter Mary Strickland to be kept for her sake." This treasure has been carefully handed down in the Eustace family despite their later vicissitudes.24 The eldest son, John, who had been granted the Baltinglass estate at Harristown died in 1623 leaving his lands to his eldest son Maurice, who became a great and powerful force in the land after the Rebellion of '41. Known to history as Sir Maurice Eustace he was a learned lawyer, a biblical scholar of note, a student of Hebrew and an immensely wealthy man. Born about 1595 and brought up a Protestant, Maurice entered Trinity College in 1610, graduated 1615 and became a fellow and lecturer in Hebrew in 1617. Probably he was intended for the church but changed his mind and studied law at Lincoln's Inn where he was called to the Bar in 1625. The favour of Adam Loftus, the Protestant Archbishop, procured him a very useful clientele and brought him to the notice of Stratford the deputy. His promotion was rapid, in 1629 he was Serjeant-at-law and 1634, leader of the Irish Bar. He was knighted on his election as speaker of the Commons in 1639 when he made a speech of fervent loyalty to church and state. There is no question that he acquired enormous wealth which was invested in lands at Palmerstown, Chapelizod and Rathdown. His town house occupied the present site of Eustace Street, to which he has given the name, but he also had a very fine residence at Palmerstown and, of course, his home at Harristown. A considerable part of the Phoenix Park belonged to him, it was later acquired from his heirs to enclose the park by Ormonde. With acute political insight, Sir Maurice abandoned his patron in his difficulties and adhered to Ormonde the rising star.

The Rebellion of 1641 radically changed the ownership of Irish land, the Catholics only recovered a fraction of their former property. This is well illustrated by the fate of the Eustaces who suffered cruelly in the Cromwellian plantations. The Civil Survey shows how widespread the family were in Kildare with a statement of their farms and acreage. The following list gives the name of the owner in 1641 and the number of acres computed by the surveyors.
James Eustace of Confy - 21, 5i and 396 acres.
Thomas Eustace of Straffan - 24 and 140 acres.
William Eustace of Craddockstown - 14, 160, 120, 40 and 620 acres.
Rowland Eustace of Blackhall - 260 acres.
Alexander Eustace of Duddingstown - 40 acres.
Christopher Eustace of Newland  - 284, 206, 320, 34, 309, 163, 232 and 66 acres.
Sir Maurice Eustace of Yeogostown - 166,130,50,126, 38, 160 and 270 acres.
Richard Eustace of Blackrath - 380 acres.
Maurice Eustace of Castlemartin  - 60, 160, 30, 80, 200, 1,00, 385, 200, 185 and 45 acres.
Thomas and Maurice Eustace of Moone - 75 and 1,000 acres.
Walter Eustace of Ballycollan - 192 acres.
James Eustace of Clongowes - 24, 40 and 340 acres.
John Eustace of Castledermott - 12 acres.

This was an estimate of their lands in the county but the Eustaces of Confy had a large farm at Milltown in the parish of Clondalkin, Sir Maurice had his lands at Chapelizod and Rathdown and other members of the clan had farms in Carlow and Wexford. According to the Survey all were Catholics except Sir Maurice who became Master of the Rolls in 1644. His cousin and namesake the owner of Castlemartin joined the Rebellion in its early days and was declared a traitor, all his estates were forfeited and a reward of 400 Pounds placed on his head. Charles II granted the lands to Sir Maurice but Ormonde seized the fortress in 1643 and four years later it was completely destroyed by the parliamentary forces under Colonel Jones. The Eustaces of Ballymore, Tipperkevin and Barrettstown are not included in the Survey but, of course, they would also lose their lands under the Commonwealth. The Catholics of Ireland were now to transplant to Connaught and all their lands to be given away to English adventurers and soldiers. We know that transplantation certificates were issued to Christopher of Newland, Walter of Ballycallane and Mary of Blackhall and lands in Connaught were allocated to Martha, John, Francis, Anne and Cisly Eustace but whether they ever got possession of them is doubtful. The Puritans did their uttermost to entice Sir Maurice to their service but he remained steadfastly loyal to the king. In 1648 he was arrested at his house in Palmerstown and sent to England where he spent seven years in prison at Chester. Through the influence of Lord Valentia he was allowed to return to Ireland in 1655 where for a time he enjoyed the friendship of Richard Cromwell.25 However, he was suspected of corresponding with the king and spent a time in prison in Dublin before the Restoration. The hope of the Irish Catholics for justice and restitution of their property was not fulfilled on the return of Charles II and thousands of acres of the best land in the country remained in the possession of penniless adventurers and bigoted puritans. This was not the fault of the king who wished his Irish subjects well, but rather his inability to deal with corrupt and desperate factions who were determined to prevent peace and justice in Ireland.

Many of the Eustaces never recovered their estates and the prominence and importance of Sir Maurice only saved others. From the beginning Charles II realised he must find a lawyer of integrity to try and solve the tangle of the Cromwellian settlement. Sir Maurice Eustace was his obvious choice and despite his unwillingness was appointed Lord Chancellor of Ireland and one of the lord justices. Unfortunately his two co-justices were dangerous schemers with bitter hostility to the Catholics, whom they had slaughtered and robbed. There is no doubt that Sir Maurice was most anxious to restore the Catholics to their land, he believed there could be no peace in the ruined country if men who had loyally fought for their king were refused justice. But he was an old and ailing man and his fellow justices, the Earls of Orrery and Mountrath, overruled him.

Sir Maurice had all his estates restored to him including the old family home of Castlemartin. The old owner of it had died in exile and his son, John Eustace, was given back the lovely estate by the Chancellor. Thus Catholic Eustaces returned to Castlemartin. The generosity of Sir Maurice was probably stimulated by John's marriage to his niece. The last days of the Chancellor were sad, continual ill health and constant controversy over the land settlement were augmented by worry about the succession to his vast property. To his deep sorrow he had no legitimate heir and he was perplexed whether to leave his estate to a natural son or a nephew. Charles II wished to grant him a peerage but the patent never passed as Sir

Maurice wanted a special clause in favour of his son. Eventually Sir Maurice made a settlement of his property a few days before his death in 1665 mostly in favour of a nephew who became Sir Maurice of Harristown, but his brother William was given Calverstown and Blackrath and Alexander who appears to have been a younger brother was given Yeomanstown and Castlekeely. These latter lands were forfeited lands which Sir Maurice received by grant and now restored to their owners or at least kept in the family.26

Buried in Castlemartin, Sir Maurice was also given a great funeral with effigy and heraldic honours in St. Patrick's Cathedral. His chief heir was also a lawyer who represented Knocktopher in parliament and in 1681 formed Harristown into a manor of 4,000 acres with markets, fairs, its own sovereign, burgesses, prison and returning two members to parliament. Sir Maurice Eustace of Harristown was a convinced Protestant. He supported William of Orange and had to flee to England during the war, being attainted by the parliament of 1689 but returned to resume possession in 1700.

He died in 1704 when the estate was divided up between his three daughters. Harristown was sold in 1738 to Rev. John Kearney and purchased in 1768 by the well-known Dublin banker David La Touche in which family it remained until 1935.

The complex and difficult genealogy of the Eustaces is illustrated in this century as there were three Sir Maurice Eustaces, (1) the Lord Chancellor, (2) Sir Maurice of Harristown, (3) Sir Maurice of Castlemartin. As we have seen the Chancellor restored John Eustace to the old home and in 1684 his eldest son, Maurice, succeeded to the property. This Maurice was an uncompromising Catholic who had fought gallantly against Cromwell. During the war he was accused of hanging a spy but the Chancellor obtained pardon for him at the Restoration. James II created him a baronet and confirmed his title to Castlemartin. In the war that followed James had no more devoted servant than Sir Maurice. He raised Eustace's Regiment and distinguished himself at Derry and the Boyne. Amongst his officers were James Eustace of Yeomanstown, Richard and John Eustace and Richard Warren a nephew of the Chancellor. Richard of Barretstown (north of Ballymore Eustace) was second in command of Lord Gormanstown's regiment. When the end came at Limerick Sir Maurice refused to desert his sovereign and went to France where he died in 1693 leaving two daughters. As a result, Castlemartin was declared forfeited to the crown and sold in 1703 to Thomas Keightly of Dublin.27 The present owners acquired it in 1850. It was from Castlemartin that General Dundas made his proclamation in 1798 which resulted in the Curragh massacre. Also included in the Williamite confiscation were the lands of Alexander and Laurence Eustace, 618 and 261 acres respectively.

A most unusual circumstance arose in the case of Yeomanstown. When the war ended the family consisted of three brothers, Maurice, Thomas and James. Maurice was in France but availed of the fourth article of the Treaty of Limerick to return and claim the estate. Unfortunately, he died in 1697 without issue. Thomas who was outlawed had died in 1692 so James entered into possession. The Commissioners expelled him in 1700 but a special act was passed granting him the property on condition his children were brought up Protestants. James was included in the treaty but the Commissioners held that Thomas had an interest in it.28 Another Catholic branch of the Eustaces that survived the war through the Treaty of Limerick was the owner of Barretstown and both houses were of great importance during the persecution that followed. Yeomanstown, which is situated three miles directly west of Naas, must not be confused with Yeogostown now corrupted to Gaganstown which lies between Kilcullen and Ballymore Eustace and south of Harristown.23

Ireland now lay at the mercy of the Protestant Ascendancy who imposed upon the unfortunate country a spate of iniquitous laws known as the Penal Code. In the government lists of 1697, Father James Eustace of Cradockstown was stated to be living at the house of Colonel Richard Eustace and a Franciscan named James Eustace was also ministering in the locality. When the persecution was at its worst in 1712 an informer told the government that the famous Dr. Nary, Vicar-General of Dublin, was hiding in Kildare and orders were given to have him apprehended.

Naas 25 Sept. 1712
This day I received from the Sub-Sheriff of Kildare a proclamation for the taking and apprehending of John Burke, Dr. Byrne and Dr. Nary and immediately I went to the house of Captain James Eustace of Yeomanstown in this neighbourhood where Dr. Nary had been for three or four months past and made diligent search for the said Doctor but could not find him but was told the Doctor had gone this day to surrender himself to the Government and that the search should have been made yesterday for the said Doctor. Francis Sotheby.
30

It would appear that the Franciscan was caught as another letter cites:

Naas 24 October 1714
Sir—There is only one James Eustace a popish priest under sentence of transportation in my gaole. He was convicted before my being a sheriff. I received no order for his transportation else I would have sent him away before now. He is in close confinement. I shall be ready to dispose of him as their Excellenceyes shall direct.
Brabazon Ponsonby, Sheriff.
3

Life was not easy for a Catholic landowner in the eighteenth century and accumulation of debt overwhelmed James Eustace who died in 1720 when Yeomanstown had to be sold. Barrettstown also passed out of the family so that the only Eustace left in Kildare was the Naas line. This branch which has always been Protestant and still survives traces its descent from William, a brother or nephew of Lord Baltinglass.31 This William married a Margaret Ashe of Forenaght's Great near Naas and his grandson as a result inherited valuable property in the town. Later they moved to Robertstown where in 1839 the Rev. Charles Eustace as senior representative of the line claimed the title of Baltinglass. The Attorney-General admitted the pedigree submitted was unshakable but stated the attainder precluded his claim. The present representative of this line is Frank Rowland Eustace of Cullenamore, Co. Sligo who is entered in the most recent edition of the Landed Gentry as Eustace of Baltinglass.32

Divorced from the land and forbidden the professions, some of the Catholic Eustaces entered industry. In the registers of the XVIII century we come across the familiar names—Rowland, Portlester, Maurice, Richard and Christopher—chiefly in the silk and linen trades. Father Chetwode Eustace, the famous antiquary, was descended from Anne, daughter of Sir Maurice of Harristown. He was for a time professor of Rhetoric in Maynooth but later went to England where he caused considerable scandal by his friendship with leading Protestants and his residence at Cambridge. Dr. Milner reproached him for his indifferentism and said his conduct was offensive to all Catholics. Father Eustace travelled widely and published many books on his travels which had a wide popularity. He died in 1815. To-day, the little town of Ballymore and a few scattered monuments in St. Audoen's and New Abbey are all that reminds us of the past glories of the Eustaces who were so often worthy of their motto " Cur me persequeris " and the crucifix emblazoned on their shield. Many of them truly died for faith and fatherland.

He married Lady Francis Hyde 3 "Burke, Irish Priests in the Penal Times, p. 327.

31 There is much dispute about the parentage of this William but apparently

he was living in London in 1610 as Viscount Baltinglass.

32 Landed Gentry of Ireland,

27 Later Sir T. Keightley, M.P. for Kildare. He married Lady Francis Hyde

the daughter of Lord Clarendon.

28 Williamite Confiscation—Simms, p. 129.

sv Also Gagostown.

s" Newland was another which he gave to Sir Maurice of Harristown

25 Valentia later earl of Anglesey was a trusted servant of Parliament whose

brother had married a niece of Sir Maurice

21 Irish Martyrs in the Penal Days—Ronan.

22 The Catli. Ency. states that he was secretly ordained a priest before his

mprisonment and that he fought at Glenmalure.

23 Ronan—ibid. Lives of the Irish Martyrs O'Reilly, p. 158.

24 Irish Landed Gentry—Burke, 1958. .

19 Mary was daughter and co-heiress of Sir John Travers, master of the ordnance,

and after the death of Baltinglass remarried Sir Gerald Aylmer. She died in 1610.

^ Kildare Arch. Journal, Vol. XIII, No. 6

17 Rep. Novum, Vol. II, No. i—article on Ballymore by Rev. W. Hawkes.

Kildare Arch. Journal, Vol. XIII, No. 6.

16 Portlester married (i) Elizabeth Brune, (2) Joan Bellew widow of Christopher

Plunkett first Lord Killeen, (3) Margaret, widow of John Dowdall, and daughter

and co-heiress of Jenico D'Artois.

15 The origin of the Eustaces is treated by Lord W. Fitzgerald, Fr. Denis

Murphy, S.J., and General Eustace Tickell in the Kildare Arch. Journal.

 
 

These pages Ronald Eustice, 2012