Eustace Families Association

Our Eustice family comes from Ireland.  We do not know which city they emigrated from or when.  But our guess is around 1840`s and the city of Dublin.

Home Objectives

 

Genealogy Who's Who? Eustace Families Post Eustace Families Association Contacts

Kildare Families

Back to Irish Families Back to Kildare Families

The Village of Leixlip, County Kildare

The village of Leixlip was founded by the Danes, who settled here after their victory at the Battle of Confey in 915 A.D. The name comes from Lax-hlaup(Salmon Leap) which Giraldus Cambrensis and other historians latinised into Saltus Salmonies. This was abbreviated to Saltus in legal documents, and survives in the local baronies of North Salt and South Salt. The Church, which has a medieval West Tower, was built at the confluence of the River Liffey and the Rye Water, which here forms the historic boundary of the kingdoms of Leinster and Brega. The castle overlooks it from its strategic position on a high rock. One of the Castles of the Pale, it was built by Adam de Hereford soon after the Norman's under Strongbow invaded Ireland in 1172. It is said that Prince John stayed here when governing Ireland in the name of his father, Henry II.

Leixlip Castle, on account of it commanding position on the western side of Dublin, was subject to many attacks. Because of its closeness to the castle, the Church did not remain unscathed. The heaviest blow fell in the 14th century when the Bruces-Edward and his brother Robert, King of Scotland-invaded Ireland (1315-1318) and ravaged the country from Carrickfergus to Waterford. They camped in Leixlip for four days, but failed to capture the Castle. However they burned the Church. Only the tower, possibly because of its massive strength, survived intact.

As it stands today the Church tower is a fine example of 12th century Norman architecture, a national monument to be treasured. The carved heads over the clock ,after 7OO years exposure to wars, wind and weather, are almost as fresh as though they had just left stonecutters hands. The clock, too, still performs its duty faithfully, recording the hours of work and worship with the help of the crudest stone weights. Inside the tower is a chamber and large fireplace, evidently intended as a home for a priest.

In 1675, the vestry undertook a major restoration of the church, which was in ruinous condition. Happily the restoration seems to have followed the plan of the original building.

Archbishop Price, Archbishop of Cashel (d.1752) is buried in the nave of the Church. Near the organ is a memorial tablet to Sir Nicholas White (Whyte) who died in 1654. The Castle remained in his family until about 1700. In the chancel is buried Deborah(d.1697) sister of Narciussus Marsh, Archbishop of Dublin who founded and endowed the library close to St.Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, which bears his name.

Throughout its long history Leixlip has seen many changes in the world around it. Today Leixlip is itself in the throes of change. No longer is it the quiet country parish it was. On every side large housing estates are going up and the area is rapidly becoming a densely populated suburb. As we move into a new era in the continuing life of our Parish, we must thank our predecessors who loved and cared for our ancient Church. They have left us a good heritage therefore it is our duty and our privilege to cherish and to preserve it for those who shall come after us.

These pages Ronald Eustice, 2007