Eustace Families Association

Our Eustice family comes from Ireland.  We do not know which city they emigrated from or when.  But our guess is around 1840`s and the city of Dublin.

Home Objectives

 

Genealogy Who's Who? Eustace Families Post Eustace Families Association Contacts
Back to Irish Families Back to Kildare Families

Tipperkevin near Ballymore Eustace, County Kildare

Tipperkevin was once a distinct parish in County Dublin, but now is merged with the Parish of Ballymore Eustace. Located about three miles north of the town of Ballymore Eustace, the parliamentary return of 1824, shows that the Parish of Tipperkevin contained 1800 acres in ten townlands, one of which was also called Tipperkevin.  The Townland of Tipperkevin is bordered by the townlands of Slieveroe to the east, Walshestowne on the north, Bawnog on the west and Dowdenstown and Elverstown on the south. Included in the Parish of Tipperkevin were the townlands of Barretstown, Bawnoge, Elverstown, Dowdanstown, Glenmore, Greenhall, Kilmalum, Punchestown, Tipperkevin (townland) and Walshestown.

 

The Book of Survey & Distributions (1641) shows the following Eustaces owning land in Tipperkevin Parish:

  • Alexander Eustace, Irish Papist, Brodenstowne (Quarre, Dowdenstown): 315 acres; All profitable, Plot 1

  • Oliver & Thomas Eustace, Irish Papists, Tipperkevin:   333 acres; All profitable, Plot 2

  • Alexander Eustace, Irish Papist, Killmalone: 123 acres; 2 roods; All profitable, Plot 3

  • Alexander Eustace, Irish Papist, Elverstowne: 85 acres profitable, 167 acres 2 roods unprofitable

  • Walter Eustace, Irish Papist, Elverstowne: 257 acres; 3 roods; profitable and 130 acres unprofitable, Plot 4

 D'Alton in The History of The County of Dublin (1838) describes Tipperkevin and Ballymore Eustace as "a district once the most unhappily situated of any in Ireland, its unfortunate inhabitants having been too obviously devoted to the  ravages of the Irish tribes, or crushed by the tyranny of the English, compelled by the one party into confederacies, in which they had fain not participated, yet, denied by the other of protection and legislation."

 

Tipperkevin Parish had a population of 766 persons in 1834, of whom it is stated that forty-three were Protestants. D'Alton writes that in the village of Tipperkevin there is a well dedicated to St. Kevin, from which the locality derives its name; more correctly Tobber-Kevin. Near the well is the old churchyard, with ruins of a church, exhibiting a chancel eleven yards long by five yards broad, and an aisle fifteen yards by five and a half. Members of the Nolan family live near the church ruins and told Ronald and Margaret Eustice during a 2007 visit that the church was destroyed by Cromwell. D'Alton wrote that an old perforated baptismal font was still in place in the aisle during the 1830s, but the ruins were overgrown with hawthorn and other brush. The largely overgrown cemetery contains numerous headstones and according to D'Alton, the grave yard was said to have been the burial place of several members of the Eustace family.

 

The parish of Ballymore Eustace, according to Lewis “was the head of a Lordship and Manor belonging to the Archbishop of Dublin, and comprising the parishes of Ballymore, Ballybough and Ballybut; Coughlanstown, Yague, Tipperkevin, and Tubber in the County of Dublin; and of Milltown, Tornant, and part of Rathsalla in the County of Wicklow. This parish comprises 1682 acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the state of agriculture is gradually improving, and a great number of calves are fattened here for the Dublin market. Slate exists, but it is not at present worked. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, constituting the corps of the prebend of Tipperkevin in the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to 117. 16. 8., and there is a glebe of 80 acres. The church is a neat edifice, in the later English style, erected about seven years since by aid of a grant of 900 from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted 164 for its repair. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymore-Eustace. At Barrettstown are the ruined castle of that name, and an ancient burial-ground; and at Slieve Ruagh, Dowdingstown, and Bishop's Hill, are moats or raths". From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) by Samuel Lewis

 

Over the years, the name Tipperkevin has been spelt many different ways:

1181-99; Tiperkevyne

1216; Tiperkevin

1250; Tipperkevyn

1264; Typerkevne

1303; Tipperkevin

1316; Typperkevin

1523; Tipperkevin

1530; Tipperkewyn

1630; Tipperkevin

1654; Tubbercavan

1697; Toberrkevan

1786, Tipper Caven

 

Reverend Father Lawrence O'Donoghue, PP. Ballymore Eustace Centenary Book; pp. 5-6 (1984) writes the following:

Five members of Eustace, Confey, Co. Kildare were allotted lands in the 1654 Cromwellian Transplantation at Kilmacduane, Co. Clare, and the name is still found at Kilmihill, Co. Clare and neighbouring parts of the county. The Eustace name is also found at Manor Kilbride near Blessington, and it is from Eustace of Tipperkevin that Americans of the name trace their origin, now settled in Minnesota and in New York State. While the connection of the Confey family with their descendents in Clare is well documented, Father O'Donaghue does not provide citation for his connection of the Minnesota (Eustice) and New York (Eustis) with Tipperkevin Parish. Recent Y-chromosome DNA testing and the discovery of correspondence dated 1903 from John Eustis of Janesville, Minnesota to his cousin Thomas in New York, provides clear evidence that members of the Schuylerville, New York Eustis family share common ancestors with Waseca County, Minnesota Eustices, but this fact was not known when Father O'Donaghue wrote the article some 20 years earlier. What is known is that the Eustaces of Tipperkevin, nearby Blackhall as well as their cousins in Gaganstown (Yago or Yagoestown)  remained Catholic and sided with the losing factions. They eventually lost their lands following the 1641 civil war and fled to the Wicklow mountains or were transplanted, perhaps to Longford, where the Eustaces of Minnesota and New York trace their ancestry. The families in New York and Minnesota remained Catholic and this fact helps rule out possible connections with other branches of the family that became Protestant during the time of Elizabeth I and subsequent monarchs.

 

The earliest record of Eustace connections to Tipperkevin appear in 1401 and continue well past the time Cromwell's Transplantation.

 

1401: Nicholas Eustace of Confey and Dublin buys the head rents of Dowdenstown and Tipperkevin (Tickell notes, Page 388).

 

1523: Robert Eustace was Prebendary (ecclesiastical administrator) of Tipperkevin (D'Alton, Page 737).

 

1532: In 1532, the head-rents of adjacent Dowdenstown and Tipperkevin were paid to the Eustaces of Confey by James, John and Henry Eustace while Oliver Eustace held Barretstown in a lease directly from the Archbishop.

 

1534: Roland Eustace, Second Viscount Baltinglass, held in fee of the lands of White's Lane, near Tipperkevin, containing a castle and thirty-one acres of ground, which was later forfeited by his son James, following the Baltinglass Rebellion. (D'Alton, Page 735).

 

1582: Thomas Eustace of Toberkevin received a pardon. Also mentioned in same pardon were Roland Eustace of Yegoston, James Eustace of Gylston, and William Eustace of Ballybrennan. (Fiant 4083; Elizabeth).

 

1586: James Eustace, Viscount Baltinglass, attainted; forfeited lands of common pasture called Red Mountain (Slieve Raugh) in Tipperkevin leased to Daniel Kellye, soldier. (Fiant 4925; Elizabeth).

 

1589: John Eustace had a lease for twenty-one years of 20 acres in Morganstown townland, Tipperkevin Parish, parcel of the estate of Thomas Eustace, attainted.

 

1596: Thomas Eustace, attainted; forfeited lands in Ballymoney (Ballymore?), County Dublin, adjoining a bog and “great” mountain called “Slewecod” (Slieve Raugh?) lands of Thomas Eustace of Kerdestowne, attainted, leased to Richard Hardinge on May 14, 1596 (Fiant 5988; Elizabeth).

 

1597: John Eustace, gent; granted lease of  land in tenure of John Parker, in the village of Tipperkevin, Count Dublin forfeited by Thomas Eustace, attainted. (Fiant 6115; Elizabeth).

 

1601: Al(i)son Eustace fitzRichard of Tipperkeavin, County Kildare; pardon; also mentioned James Eustace of Flemingstown, County Kildare, Edward Eustace of Ardnouth, County Kildare. (Fiant 6538; Elizabeth).

 

1606: Edmund Eustace died. At the time he held one castle, four messuages, and 180 acres in Elvardstown alias Aylewardstown; one castle, four messuages and 70 acres at Burgagemoile; and one castle, six messuages and 42 1/2 acres called Talbot's land and Bennett's land in Ballymore Eustace. (D'Alton, Page 736)

 

1618:The lease granted in 1589 to John Eustace, was renewed for thirty-four years to one of the Eustace family, a descendent of whom, Walter Eustace, in the 1641 confiscations, forfeited 403 acres in Elvartstown.

 

1641: The following Eustaces are listed in the Book of Survey & Distributions:

  • Walter Eustace of Elverstown Townland owned 403 acres in Tipperkevin partly from Baltinglass forfeitures,     Morganstown, Elverstown, Burgagenolle, 4 castles. This land originally belonged to James Eustace 3rd Viscount of Baltinglass whose land was attainted after the Baltinglass Rebellion.  (Page 389).

  • Oliver and Thomas Eustace of Tipperkevin Townland owned 333 acres of land described as profitable. Book of Survey & Distributions.

  • Alexander Eustace of  Brodenstowne (Quarre, Dowdenstown): 315 acres described as profitable. Book of Survey & Distributions.

1656: On January 27, 1656, the following Eustaces were among about two dozen Eustaces issued official decrees of land forfeiture under Cromwell’s Act of Resettlement:

  • Oliver Eustace of Blackall, Newcastle & Uppercross Barony, County Dublin, together with Thomas, his brother, 333 acres in Tipperkevin.

  • Thomas Eustace, Irish Papist of Tipperkevin, Newcastle & Uppercross Barony, County Dublin, Owner of (with his brother Oliver) 333 acres in Tipperkevin Parish.                        

            

1667: Walter Eustace of Elverstown: On l6 January 1667, Walter Eustace of Tipperkevin for the consideration of one peppercorn (if demanded) recorded the bargain and sale of land for one year to Phillipp Savadge, Dublin City of Logadowdin. Parish. Ballymore Eustace, barony Upper Cross, Co. Dublin.

 

1680: Walter Eustace, Tipperkevin, Co. Dublin, bargain and sale forever of a house and ground in Tipperkevin to Sir Joshua Allen, Dublin City was recorded on 2 Feb. 1680. Consideration: 10 stg.

 

1697: On 4 February 1697, copy bargain and sale forever by Jocelin and Catherin Aylmer, Darney (?) Queen’s Co. and Richard Eustace, Dowdingstown, Co. Dublin of Toberkeavan, bar(ony) Upper Cross, Co. Dublin and Walshestown, Cos. Dublin and Kildare. Consideration: 325 Stg + 55.

 

1699: Sir Maurice Eustace, Harristowne, Co. Kildare bargain and sale for 1 year on 23 February, 1699 to Richard Eustace, by Dowdingstowne, Co. Dublin of Toberrkevan, parish Toberrkevan, barony Upper Cross, County Dublin. Consideration: 5/.

 

1699: Sir Maurice Eustace, Harristown, Co. Kildare, bargain and sale forever on 25 February, 1699 to Richard Eustace, Dowdingstowne, Co. Dublin of Toberrkevan, par(ish) Toberrkevan, bar(ony) Upper Cross, Co. Dublin. Consideration: 731 stg.

 

1826: Oliver Eustace, listed on Tithe Applotment Book records as lessee of 3 acres, 3 roods, 16 perches of land (all arable) in Tipperkevin Townland.

 

St Kevin’s well

Tipperkevin, Ballymore Eustace. From Ballymore, take the road to the right opposite the central square. About 2 miles on, an open space in the middle of the road indicates you have arrived. St. Kevin’s well is beside the road on the left-hand side in a grassy area in the open space adjoining the road near the old graveyard.. This holy well is said to be on an ancient pilgrim’s path from Kildare to Glendalough. A school named after St. Kevin is said to have once flourished here. An ancient graveyard in the local farmer’s field also suggests that Tipperkevin might once have been a flourishing place. Unfortunately, the area has been neglected. A FAS project cleared it not so long ago and made a path to the well, but already the area is once again returning to wetland. The water from the well looks clean and is profuse, but is needs more attention if it is to survive.  Only traces of the church remain.

 

The first element of the place-name is repeated in Tipper, the title of another church dedicated to same saint in the adjoining parish of Rathmore (Eadestown.) Tipper, formerly know as Kill Kevin was, in fact, the first in the chain of churches so dedicated.
 

St Brigid’s Well is located beyond Tipperkevin beside the sandpits, down a lane on the right-hand side. It is only about a quarter of a mile from St. Kevin’s well. A blue painted gate on the left-hand side of the lane leads to the well. Although sadly neglected, this well still flows comparatively fast into a stream. Not so long ago, a mass was held here on Heritage Day. It badly needs to be kept tidy and ongoing attention.

References:

D'Alton, John,  The History of The County of Dublin (1838)

33

These pages Ronald Eustice, 2007