son of William Eustace of Castlemartin in Co Kildare. He was called to
the bar at an early age and was appointed Serjeant in 1634. In 1639 he
was elected Speaker of the House of Commons. He became Master of the
Rolls in 1644 and he was the first Lord Chancellor of Ireland after the
Restoration of the English monarchy in1660. As Lord Justice, Eustace
deputised for the Duke of Ormond, who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland,
during the Duke’s absences. Eustace lived in some style in a house that
once stood on the north side of Dame Street, Dublin with a garden
sloping down to the river.
A street in Dublin, near the site of the house, still bears his name.
The Chancellor also owned large tracts of land on the outskirts of
Dublin and the Abbey of Cong in Co Mayo.
A well laid out garden with a lake was a feature of his rural residence
in Harristown where the house as described by O’ Flanagan was “spacious
Eustace was, with the Duke of Ormond, responsible for the creation of
the Phoenix Park, for which King Charles II purchased four hundred acres
from the Chancellor.
died in 1665. A clause in the Chancellor will documents a bequest of
“20l per annum for the maintenance of a Hebrew lecturer in Trinity
He also recorded a request to be interred in Castlemartin in the family
vault but he was buried in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin.